Adaptive Physical Education equipment requests from Ann Griffin
- Written by Bob Ocken
For the last 10 years, many RCRV members have been involved in projects to create equipment for Ann Griffin of the Grant Wood Area Education Agency. Ann is responsible for the Adapted Physical Education (APE) program which supports Physical Educators tasked with teaching students with disabilities. (http://www.aea10.k12.ia.us/divlearn/APE/equipment.html ) RCRV members have created several pieces of specialized equipment to allow disabled students to participate in PE activities.
The email is the continuation of a 10 year conversation and don’t worry if you are confused about some of the references. Ask Jim Green for background information.
For a reasonably complete list of documented projects created by RCRV members see: http://rcrv.org/community_projects.php
May 5, 2016
LOVE the Liaison idea!
UPDATE: Big Ball Launcher at National Convention in Minneapolis, SHAPE America
BUSIEST YEAR ever!!!
LOTS OF Equipment in schools!!! LOTS of smiles on kids’ faces
NEW APE programs or adaptive equipment needs 2015-16
- Anamosa MS
- Monticello Elementary
- Franklin MS
- Harding MS: new students with physical disabilities: Team Bella
- Prairie Hill
- Solon MS
- Coolidge Elem: Team Riley
- LinnMar Community SD: NEW adapted aquatics program…pool chairs like bath chairs only taller…for transport of wet students…to protect wheel chair
- College Community: Ridge, Hill, Creek, Point and PHS
- Bocce Ball Ramps, Need 6: see design at: http://rcrv.org/community_projects.php?projID=295
- Bumper Car??? Any more inner tubes? Could use 2 more cars: Did not see on the website…was a Chuck Wehage creation!
- Ladder golf balls
- Re-design the Frisbee disc thrower to work with disc golf disc markers: http://rcrv.org/community_projects.php?projID=24
- Re-design the golf chipper putters http://rcrv.org/community_projects.php?projID=32
- Re-design Cliff’s astronaut board…circular and smaller for PS classes (Wellman and CPU)…need 4 about 24” diameter
- NEW INVENTION: Kicker..for soccer, kickball: http://rcrv.org/community_projects.php?projID=33
- NEW INVENTION: ball picker upper
- NEW INVENTION: Golf club swinger
- HOCKEY stick-wheelchair attachment
- Switch activated bowling ramps…need screws/check ball pusher devices
- Small ball launchers, need some assembled (parts already cut out)
- Bowling ramps…re screw
- Check out battery operation of fishing machine
- Big Ball Launcher: IOWA BIG? Attach to STEM initiatives? Mentor? Plans for BIG Ball launcher? Might Jack share his plans and let someone draw them up for the website (without referring to the designer) OR might he be willing to let someone reverse engineer the launcher so the plans could be made available? OR might one of the STEM classes or Iowa BIG be able to make these (maybe with Jack being the mentor?)
- Logo? PR? Sticker to put on devices?
- QR code with directions for use on devices?
RCRV Change #1
- Written by Dave Knuth
Before I left town last Winter, I asked the RCRV members of the board for input on the future of RCRV because things were changing:
- REACT was closed
- New Location for Weekly Meetings
- New location for Monthly Board Meetings
- Uncertainty of ongoing Rockwell Sponsorship
- Our Membership is aging, with few new members
- Our responsiveness to Volunteer Requests has deteriorated, and is jeopardizing our relationship with some non-profits
- The type of Volunteer Requests has changed over the years, and often do not appeal as much to our technical, constructional and instructional capabilities
- Some of our Members have gravitated to specific Volunteer activities, like SHIIP and WRAP that either satisfy their volunteer desires or limit their ability to take on more activities.
Do you have any Pride?
- Written by Keith Sutherland
The Rockwell Collins Museum volunteers are continuing their efforts to archive all of the company magazines. Great progress has been made and you can read all of the Collins Column and Collins Signal issues on the museum web site at http://rockwellcollinsmuseum.org.
Handouts for the Rockwell Collins Retiree Insurance Program for 2016
- Written by Bob Ocken
On Oct 5,6,& 8 2015, RCRV presents its annual seminar on the 2016 Rockwell Collins Insurance program for Rockwell Collins retirees at Kirkwood Training and Outreach Service Center in Marion.
If you are unable to attend one of these seminars, or would like a copy of the handouts, the handouts are available at:
Rockwell Collins Insurance Presentation Hand-outs 2016 Pdf format
New location for Community Projects Meetings
- Written by Bob Ocken
Because of the REACT Center closure, all future meetings of the RCRV Community Porjects Team will be held at 10:00 AM each Thursday at:
Linn County Regional Center for Kirkwood
1770 Boyson Road Room 210
This building is located two blocks further west on Boyson Rd from the REACT Center location. Parking is in the rear (North) of the building. There are two entrances on the North side of the building. Please use the right door as you face the building from the parking lot. The classroom is directly ahead of this entrance in room 210.